Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

I know this post is a little late and probably won't be read until after Halloween is over...please forgive me for my tardiness!  :)

Happy Halloween ya'll!  Halloween is probably my favorite holiday of the year.  It's just so whimsical and fun, and it marks the start of fall and the holiday season, which, in itself, is reason enough.  I feel like Halloween is one of those holidays where you are given creative license to be as tacky as you want, and I definitely like taking advantage of that.  This year I wanted to spend as little money as possible decking my Halloween halls, so here's what I came up with:


The only items I purchased this year for Halloween decor are these ridiculously cute owl salt and pepper shakers, and the gingham fabric for the table runner.  Table linens add so much to the room, but I didn't want something Halloween specific.  You can get so much more usage out of a simple pattern with simple color palette than you can with something that is holiday specific, and it generally turns out just as cute!  I was able to use this gingham (from Hobby Lobby) on the appliqued onesies as well, and I'll most definitely be able to use it again for something else down the line.  To create the runner I just cut the fabric the width that I wanted, and then frayed the ends to give it a worn look.  Nothing about Halloween decorating should be too perfect.  Or difficult.  :)


I had this skull leftover from the Target $1 section last year.  I just plopped him on the pedestal and spread a bunch of black bat necklaces around to act as a filler.  These are in our Halloween goodie bags, and I had a bunch of extras to give to the kids at work.


I found a printable for these bat cutouts from M.Stew, so I spread them out on the table runner to fill things in a little bit.


I really enjoy having a table made up for the holidays.  My crafts and "projects" have a habit of exploding throughout the house, and if there's something pretty on the table, it manages to stay clean longer.  Funny how that works.  :)

This next project should literally be called the easiest project ever.  It took me all of about 3 minutes to complete, and that's only because I was sock-sliding through the house to Taylor Swift half of the time.


I cut a piece of green dotted fabric (purchased from Hobby Lobby) to fit my shadow box frame, and taped it to the back of the mat.  Then I took these mustache stickers from Target and laid them on my paper.  A little double-sided tape and, ta da!  Super easy Halloween display.


Last up on the Halloween decor is this ribbon wreath, originally found on Pinterest, though I didn't pin it so I can't link up to the original blog.  doh!


I just bought a 10" foam wreath form from Hobby Lobby along with a BUNCH of black gross-grain ribbon.  I added a glitter ribbon in ever 4 ties or so just to add a little bit of bling.  Everything is better with glitter, right?  Just cut your ribbons at an angle about 13-14" long and tie around the wreath form.  Make sure you always tie in the same direction, and squish your ribbons together as you go so you get a nice, tight coverage.  I made this wreath last year but I still think it's just the cutest thing!


I hope everyone has a safe and happy Halloween!  I'm getting a little concerned that we might not have many trick or treaters...it's 7:30 and we've only had 2 knocks!

xoxo- L.o.L.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment